9.14.2010

No Sew ABC Fabric Art

A few months ago, my sister-in-law had a baby boy. I wanted to make her some nursery art and this is what I came up with. 


They were pretty simple to put together. The hardest was coming up with the design. And I kick myself for not keeping it. So, I'm very sorry that to recreate this, you will need to draft your own, but please feel free to try to copy mine as best you can!

What you need:
  • 3 - 8 x8 box canvases
  • 1/2 yard of background fabric
  • fat quarters or scraps for other fabric colors
  • Heat N Bond
  • iron / ironing board
  • glue gun

To start, I drew out my designs and made sure they would fit right by laying them down on the canvas.



Next, I traced the pieces in groups of what color they needed to be on the Heat N Bond. Make sure to trace it backward and to iron it onto the wrong side of the fabric. I cut out pieces as I needed them, that way I didn't lose the tiny buggers.



I cut the background fabric 10 x 10 to ensure  enough overlap.

Next, I cut out and laid the pieces on the background fabric with the canvas behind to make sure I was inside the edges.



When I was happy with the arrangement, I slid the canvas out and ironed on the pieces in layers. Iron on the bottom most pieces first.




Then add the detail pieces on top.




I used hot glue to secure the design to the back of the canvas. Make sure the design is centered. Glue one side, then pull the fabric tight and glue the opposite side.




To glue the top and bottom, I folded it like I would a present, gluing in layers.






My last step was to trim all the fabric inside the wood frame.



"A is for Airplane"



"B is for Boat"




"C is for Car"


I was trying to give the illusion that the airplane and boat where moving.




Disclaimer:
I made these before I was fully aware the amount of detailed pictures a tutorial required, so feel free to ask any questions you have.

1 comments:

Jenny said...

I did finally get these hung in the baby's room and they look sooooo cute! They match perfectly with the decor. Thanks so much!