12.06.2010

Sock Cow Tutorial

Back when I posted my sock monkey tutorial, I was asked if I knew how to make a sock cow.

I didn't, so I made it up!

Look how cute this little guy is.




 Supplies:

  • pair of womens socks with contrasting toe/heel and (hopefully) cuff.
  • small amount of yarn
  • stuffing
  • buttons for eyes
  • sewing supplies
*I strongly suggest you read the whole tutorial first to get a feel for it, especially before cutting up the socks. You can also use felt for the "hoofs" or the nose circles if you want. Also, you can eliminate the horns, but I sure think they are cute!*



For sock 1: 

Fold leg portion in half to tip of heal and cut.



Cut off cuff


Lay sock flat with heel facing up, cut down center about 1" from heel.


Cut cuff in half and lay on top of each leg, matching the edge.


Sew along inside edge.


Trim off sock behind the cuff.


Flip inside out, sew along bottom and inner seam to create hind legs. Leave an opening for turning and stuffing.


If you don't have enough room, clip up the center a bit more (like I had to do. . .).


Sock 2:


Fold both top and foot portion in half and cut. Cut out heel and cut top and foot portion apart.


Take the inner pieces, fold in half lengthwise and create ears in the foot portion and horns in the top part. Here are the dimensions for them. Ear on the LEFT, horn on the RIGHT. The horn is slightly curved.


Open back up the pieces. Cut a tail and nose circles from the rest of the top part.

This is what you should have. The red Xs are throw away.


Next is to sew pieces:

Sew legs across the cuff and long seam. Sew close to edge (1/8" or so).


Sew horns. I suggest starting at bottom, sew along one side; then start at bottom on the other side and sew up to cross the first seam at the tip.


Since the ears were cut on a fold, cut half the folded edge for a place to turn.


Sew the same way as the horns, up one side and then up the other, making sure to meet/cross the first seam.


To make the tail, wrap some yarn 4 times loosely around 2 fingers. Pull your fingers out, leaving yarn looped. Fold into the center of the tail. Sew along yarn end and long side, being careful not to catch the yarn in the long side seam.


Turn all pieces right side out. Here is what you should have:


 Time to assemble!!

Stuff and sew opening closed of sock 1.


Use 6 strands of embroidery floss to tie a neck about 3 1/2 in from the tip.




Stuff front legs to match up with the hind legs.



Use a running stitch to pull the top of the leg closed.


Sew the legs into place, lining them up with the hind legs.



Stuff the toe portion from sock 2 and pin onto the top of the head. Line up the edge with the side of the toe on sock 1 (body sock). The front will overlap the pink some.



Stitch on. Don't worry about the raw edge, it will look great to do a simple loop stitch.





Fold ears in half, match corners and stitch them together.


Attach at the corner of the toe.




Stuff the horns, stitch just inside the ears. Be aware of which way the horn curves. It's subtle, but will look odd if sew on the wrong way.


Sew on the button eyes and the nose circles.


Lay the tail flat with the seam in the center on the underside. Sew the tail on flat in the center of the contrasting heel of the body sock (sock 1).


And you're done!!

Make a herd!!




The contrasting cuff makes better hoofs:



And my shameless exploit of my adorable baby with the cute cows.


Moo.

10 comments:

Bree said...

These are adorable, you're a genius! I think I'll be sock shopping sometime soon. :)

Heidi said...

So cute! I've got to make one of these soon. I still need to get the sock monkey done.

Anne said...

SO cute!! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-sock-cow-softie/2010/12/10/

--Anne

rickimoo said...

I have been looking for a cow tut for a long time. You really did a good job. I am going to have to try this now. I am just finishing up 2 sock monkeys for the newest grandkids. Next one is for me! (cow). Thank you so much for the tut. Your awsome

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Oh my gosh this is so, so cute! I love it! Thanks for the how-to, I'll be linking.

Lisa said...

I love this! I have a sock monkey obsession but I'd love to try other animals too! Thank you SO much for posting this!

Cynthia said...

Oh. My. Cuteness! I can't believe you made the cow! Very fun. I am just trying to make a monkey from your other tutorial. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for posting this! I was able to make my first of many Scottish Highland sock cows! We raise Scottish Highlands on our farm and I thought it would be fun to "raise" some inside the house too!

Colorful Canary said...

Thanks for the great sock cow tutorial, Sooo cute! I featured it on my blog :) : http://www.colorfulcanary.com/2015/03/14-great-ways-to-recycle-old-socks.html

Maria said...

Buy stylish socks with 0.01$
Buy online with trusted platform

buy socks with 0.01$

Follow my social networks for funny memes and odd news

Facebook page 👇
follow Facebook page
Twitter👇
Join Twitter
Telegram👇
Join Telegram