5.31.2011

For Jon.

My husband and I met almost 8 years ago. At the time I was in a first aid class at the University of Utah. I took the class to become certified and hopefully qualify for a job at a kids summer camp. I didn't get the job, but I found a new love: First Aid. I switched my major from English to Health Education and Promotion with an emphasis in Emergency Medical Services. 

The summer that Jake and I were planning our wedding, I was also taking the First Aid Lab Instructor course, so that I could teach my new found love to other students. Jake and I were married in August, and then I got the teaching job for the Fall semester. It was as an instructor that I met Jon Bowers. He was also a Lab Instructor and in the same major as me.

Jon worked as an EMT, saving lives.

Jake took the same courses as I did, one semester behind, and pretty soon we were all teaching together. It was such a fun job to have! I miss it more than any job I've ever had. Jon and I also took classes together, and soon he became a good friend to both of us.

Me, Jake and Jon.
Even  while attending and working at the U, Jon was a big BYU fan!

One week ago, early Sunday morning, Jon was on his way to work as an ambulance worker. While stopped at a red light, a drunk driver plowed into him from behind (news story). His car was crushed between the drunk driver and the car in front of him. After fighting for a week in the ICU, he died yesterday morning. Jon is gone and Jake and I are still dazed by how quickly and abruptly he was taken from his family and friends. 

I know that his family is dealing with many more emotions, but also they are going to have to deal with the finances. I am hoping that, if you are able, you will please donate to a fund for the medical and funeral expenses that this sad event will bring. It doesn't take much to make a difference. Just click the donate button below and follow the directions to donate safely through PayPal. The money will be going into my PayPal account, but I will then be giving it to Jon's mother. 







I know this might be too much for my little craft blog, but I couldn't sit by and do nothing. And the worst thing that can happen is we are in the same place we were before. 

Jon, we miss you. You are a great friend and there needs to be more like you.

*UPDATE: Jon's co-workers set up a donation fund for his family through Zion's Bank, I will be putting the money collected into that account, or you can donate directly through any Zion's location.*

3 comments:

Audrey said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I hope the arrangements resolve themselves quickly and easily for his family.

Vanessa at Rescued Goods said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

Rochelle said...

Sad. I couldn't put a face to the name when I read your status update on Facebook, but now that you post these pictures I realize who you were talking about. I'm so sorry, Viv. What a nice thing for you to do to honor his memory and help his family.