But then I got an email from the blog administrator on Sunday night saying she had removed the feature because of some "nasty comments" concerning the safety of the plastic on the costume. I didn't get to read these comments, but I still understand her reason for choosing to remove it. Safety is extremely important with children and babies. Safe costumes, and especially, proper supervision of your children is key.
I want to clear a few things up.
- It is not plastic, like a plastic bag. It is vinyl. Stiff, sewing vinyl.
- It is sewn down and away from her face.
- I put her in the costume feet first, her face is never covered.
- I won't put her in the car seat with it on because I wouldn't be able to secure her properly.
- I, or my husband, will be watching her (and most likely holding her) the whole time she is wearing the costume.
And most importantly, I would not have made the costume if I was concerned about it being a safety risk. I know this costume is safe. But even so, she will be supervised while wearing it, not because this specific costume concerns me, but because she is a baby, and needs to be watched, no matter what she is wearing.