9.08.2011

Book Pages Tray Tutorial

I'm sure I'm not the first person to Mod Podge old book pages to stuff, but this was a really fun and small way to bring even more themed decor to the Library baby shower. Today I'll share how I made the tray.




The supplies are pretty simple. You will need a tray to cover. I found this plastic "Merry Christmas" one at a thrift store for $0.50! You also need an old book. Try to find one that has yellowed edges from age if you can, it just adds more dimension. You need Mod Podge, a foam brush, and (not pictured) black craft paint, little paint brush, and sealer.


Rip pages out of the book at the spine, then rip the pages at random places.


Use a sponge brush to apply Mod Podge to one side of the page.

(if you follow me on FB, this is why my daughter got the stuff in her hair)

Then stick the page glue side down on the tray at random. I did try to make sure the pages were going at different angles and the text at different directions from the ones immediate to it. Also, don't go from one side the tray to the other, because then all the pages will be on top of each other on the same sides. (does that even make sense?)


I covered over the handle openings completely, then waited for it to mostly dry. Cut a line in the paper covering the hole.


Then use more Mod Podge to wrap the cut pages around the opening.


This is how it will look when you've covered the whole top side. I stopped here, but I think it would be a good idea to cover the sides as well.


The next step is to add an image. This draws attention away from what could be awkward page placement, and just adds a bit of fun.

I used this bird image from picnik.com, printed it out in a 4x6 size, and cut out the bird.


I traced around the bird on to the paper tray with a pencil.


Fill in the outline with black craft paint (or any color you wish).



The last two steps are to finish it off. First, after letting the bird image dry, use your sponge brush to apply Mod Podge over the entire surface of the book pages. This is harden it and add a great finish. Don't do it too thick that the pages wrinkle. Allow it to dry.


 The final step is to apply a sealer. Even after it has dried, Mod Podge can be tacky and if you leave things resting on the surface for very long, they can stick. Sealer will prevent that from happening. And since it is a serving tray, you most likely will have things resting on it!

 And there you have it, an awesome Book Pages Tray.


Then you can add stuff, like these party favors:


And that's just awesome!

2 comments:

Vanessa at Rescued Goods said...

I love this! I am posting a project tomorrow using mod podge and book pages too. Love your bird!

Iva Lillie said...

AMAZING! So talented. :)